Thursday, March 10, 2011

St. Patrick's Day is Thursday, March 17th.

A musing post. Rather than an amusing post...

My mother's father was Irish. However, he died well before I was born, and any obvious Irish influence on our family, particularly our food, which probably owed more to Mid-Western farm country cooking than any other particular influence, was minimal, at best.

Potatoes.

I remember once, as a child, complaining to my mother that I shouldn't have to eat potatoes for dinner because I had them for lunch, at school. My mother responded that I should be glad that I only had potatoes twice a day, because, when she was a girl her father insisted on having potatoes at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

This conversation is really all I know of our Irish heritage. Particularly of our food heritage.

My mother sends me St. Patrick's Day cards, but I don't remember, that when I was growing up we celebrated in any particular way, except by wearing green, so as not to be pinched.

I made my own children green scrambled eggs (by green scrambled eggs I simply mean I added green food coloring to the eggs) one year, for fun.

They cried.

That wasn't much fun.


So, what is your Irish connection? Your thoughts about St. Patrick's Day? Any stories to tell? Any food, or memories to share?

1 comment:

  1. Irish on me dear mother's side. I plan to eat corned beef and cabbage. I only found out that I was Irish a couple of years ago. Oh! The wasted years!!!

    ReplyDelete