Thursday, March 3, 2011

Chocolate Sausage

Portioned

Flattened
Almost Ready To Eat

8 oz Ground Pork
1/8 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Brown Sugar
1 TBSP Dutch Process Cocoa Powder
1/8 Salt

1 tsp Vegetable Oil

Mix all ingredients together, except the oil. Heat a cast iron skillet, and the oil, for two minutes.

Portion sausage with a medium size scoop (mine is the Pampered Chef brand). Press into patties. I scoop them into, and press them in, the hot skillet, but, if you'd rather avoid the heat, oh, and the hot oil, you can scoop them onto, and press them on, wax paper.

I cook sausage patties on low - medium low so that the inside of the patties cooks at about the same rate that the outside browns. If you need pretty sausage for a photo, know that the chocolate makes for a beautifully browned looking sausage patty.

I don't have any bread in the house, today, but, if I did, I would have served the chocolate sausage with cinnamon sugar toast. 

Not bad, but it almost tasted like liver, to me. Not exactly the effect I was trying the achieve. If I make it again, and, oh, I probably will, I'll double both the chocolate and the salt. Maybe the chile, too. Not certain about the cinnamon, I may have had that right. The chocolate flavor did come through slightly better once the sausage had a chance to cool.

One downside to chocolate sausage is that I couldn't share any with Buddy (the dog). She was sad.

1 comment: