Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tortilla Soup




Tortilla Soup is a "leftover" soup, whose original purpose was to prevent stale corn tortillas from going to waste. The Mexican version of an Italian Bread Soup.

Therefore, other than it being a poultry based soup (meat and broth), I change up the ingredients (although sometimes only slightly), each time I make it. Largely based on what I have on hand. This recipe is just one example. For instance, It's a good after Thanksgiving soup, with turkey.

This style of soup is not just made of leftovers, it makes great leftovers. So when I make it, I like to make A LOT at once.


Q:  What do tortilla soup and fajitas have in common?

A:  I always think I can put large quantities of them together quickly, and I never can.


I'm posting the instructions first, because this is a simple concept, a simple recipe, and a simple to make soup, but that might get lost in the chatter that goes with the ingredients.


 Instructions:


 Combine carrots, onions, celery, and potato in a 16 qt stockpot with
8 C. water.

Bring to a boil over high heat. Add tomatoes (with juice), oregano, salt, garlic, and any chile.

Check veggies for doneness (amount of doneness is up to you). When done, add broth.

Bring back to a boil.

Add corn.

Warm, briefly, then add chicken & black olives.

Reduce heat to very low, until ready to cool & put away leftovers.

 

Ingredients:


8 large Carrots, sliced into half moons.

2 large or extra large  Onions, diced.

1 Celery Heart (or bunch), sliced, including any leaves.

1 Potato, chopped (this is a rustic, homestyle soup, so peeling the potato is optional).

8 C. Water

2 cans* Diced Tomatoes (do NOT drain them)

*2 cans are okay, but I usually prefer a less tomato-y tortilla soup, and no, I didn't write the size of the cans in my notes, so I have no idea what size they were (except I know they weren't institutional sized cans). 

1/4 C Mexican Oregano

1 tsp Salt

Garlic, 1 head (nearly 40 cloves from this one, but some were very small), minced. I'd say not more
than 20 cloves if they're loose, and 10 may be better.If using powdered, just use a TBSP. It won't be the same, but...


Very Garlicky!! If you don't LOVE garlic, use less (4 cloves, total) or none, much as that pains me.


8 oz roasted & peeled New Mexican Green Chile*, previously frozen, chopped

Leftover prepared Green Chile and Red Chile*, very small amounts of both

*Chile can be served on the side, if preferred.


You can add as much or as little chile/heat to this soup as you desire. When I don't have
chile (sacrilege), to add, I use red pepper flakes!


Chicken Broth (I used 3, 1-qt jars* and 2 (approx 36 oz each) Ziplocs* of broth, all
frozen.

*I won't freeze homemade broth in jars again, clever idea but doesn't meet my needs. The broth in the jars has to be at least partially defrosted, but the broth in the Ziplocs can be used frozen, by slicing open the bags with scissor,s and putting the blocks in the soup.

2 C Corn, frozen

Chicken breast, cooked and chopped, reserved from one roasted chicken

1 can, California *Whole Black Olives, drained (I sliced them two at a time on an egg slicer, not my favorite type of olive, but I like them in some applications, sometimes).

*Whole vs. sliced = Just slightly better taste and texture, and I could usually get a better price on whole.

Tortilla Strips (I fry them*, can do this ahead of time)

*I use a method similar to how I prepare tortillas for enchiladas, but I fry a stack of strips at once, don't usually flip them, and fry them for longer. Can deep fry the strips, too. Salt the hot just fried strips (well, if desired).

Cheese, shredded. I had Sharp Cheddar, that's what I used. Monterey Jack is also good.

Lemon or Lime Wedges


Additional Ingredient Notes:

Avocado is good, as a last minute addition, preferably to individual bowls. 

I like Cilantro in Tortilla Soup, but I didn't have any this particular day.

This version has a small amount of flour in it, in the prepared green, but Tortilla Soup can easily be, and when I make it, usually is, gluten-free.

Zucchini (or any summer squash) is another vegetable that goes well in Tortilla Soup.

You may need less water and broth if you don't live in a high desert climate.


 

To Serve:


Ladle the soup into bowls. Top each with a generous amount of tortilla strips. Top the strips with cheese and serve with the lemon or lime wedges

Served with a lettuce salad, because I'm boring like that :)




Soup made and served  May 11, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment