Thursday, March 6, 2014

Fake Lo Mein






Well, not really even that. But, combining chicken, bell peppers, onions, broccoli, spaghetti noodles, and teriyaki sauce, reminded me of Americanized "lo mein" recipes that I have seen. So, in my mind, this dinner was fake lo mein. Even though, of course, that's a misleading title and it's not (which is usually one of my pet peeves).


First make the teriyaki sauce, and start the noodles.


*******

Teriyaki Sauce

Adapted from Teriyaki Sauce recipes Karen Joy & Ma'am I Am posted on a homeschooling forum, years ago.

  • 1/2 C Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 C Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder, or 1 clove Garlic, minced.
  • 1 tsp grated Ginger
  • 1 tsp Dark Sesame Oil
  • 1 1/2 TBSP Rice Vinegar

Stir.

*******

  • 16 oz Spaghetti Noodles
  • 1 TBSP Dark Sesame Oil

Toss the boiled and drained noodles with the sesame oil.

  • 3 TBSP Canola, or any mild flavored, Oil
  • 1 Onion (mine was huge, but I love onion), chunked
  • 2 Orange Bell Peppers, chunked
  • Broccoli Florets, about 1 1/2 LBS (I stir-fried mine, another option is to add them to the pasta near the end of cooking time and boil the broccoli along with the pasta). 
  • 1 1/4 C. Water
  • 16 oz, approximately, raw Chicken Breast, chopped
  • 1 TBSP Red Pepper Flakes (I don't remember when I added the chile flakes, just do it when it feels right).

Preheat a large stainless steel pan on med-high, 2 minutes.

Add 1 TBSP oil. Stir-fry the onion and bell pepper.

But, If you walk away and forget about the pan, as I did, reduce heat before you
add the oil and the veggies.



Here's a confession:

Stir fry.

I don't stir fry in an authentic, traditional sense.

Mine is more of sit, stir, sit fry. Referring to the food, not me. Ha!

I don't have a wok, either. 



Remove onion and bell pepper to a large stainless steel mixing/serving bowl.

Immediately add 1 TBSP oil to the pan. Add the broccoli. After you've stirred the broccoli
a few times, add 1/4 C. of the water (careful of the steam). Stir. Once the water evaporates, add another 1/4 C. Stir. Evaporate. Add another 1/4 C. Stir. Evaporate. If necessary, repeat...I needed a total of 1 1/4 C. water.

Once the broccoli is done, move it to the bowl. As it sits in the bowl, it may continue to cook, or steam, so don't overcook it.

Add 1 TBSP oil to the pan. Add chicken to the pan. Once the chicken is mostly cooked, add Teriyaki sauce to chicken in pan. Cook a couple of minutes.

Spoonula in to the bowl and toss with your noodles and veggies. 


Serves four, or more, as a one dish dinner.

Leftovers will taste good eaten cold, as a Teriyaki flavored pasta salad, at lunch.





Made and served 4-28-2011


No comments:

Post a Comment