Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Scrambled Eggs In Brown Butter With Cream Cheese And Chives



I first had scrambled eggs with cream cheese and herbs on vacation in Montana. I’ve been making this for myself since that trip.

  • Butter.
  • 2 Eggs, scrambled with a splash of water.
  • Cream Cheese, about .75 of an ounce, diced (you know, those odds and ends of cream cheese you find in the refrigerator after the bagels are all gone, but before the cheese itself starts to change color).
  • ½ tsp Chives (I only had dried, but I’m certain fresh would be lovely).
  • Sea Salt, to taste. 

Melt butter in your egg pan, just enough so that the eggs don’t stick, on low heat. If you don’t slip the eggs into the pan too soon, you, too, will have brown butter. Just as I did. Note that brown butter isn’t burnt butter. Brown butter is trendy (and although food trends can be annoying, they’re not all bad, especially if I can make a mistake and disguise it as my attempt to follow a trend). Burnt butter just has to be thrown away after it has cooled to the point where it won’t melt the trash can liner.

Stir your eggs in the pan, not continuously, just enough so they cook somewhat evenly, but don’t stick. When they begin to set, add the cream cheese, stir it in, and as it begins to melt, add the chives.

Plate it, salt it if you so desire (I do), and eat it. Oh, right, this makes one serving. Of course you can double it, or...

Ate on 1/19/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment