Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Buttered Popcorn



I just can’t buy already popped, popcorn, to eat at home, or, perhaps I should say won’t. I don’t have a hot air popper. I don’t have a microwave. So, to make popcorn (one of my family’s favorite snacks) one of us has to actually pop it in a pan on the stove.

Old school, that’s me.  

To pop it, I really just (well, sort of) follow the instructions on the jug of Orville Redenbacher (if you shop at Costco, you know that the container really is a jug).
 
  • ½ C. Popcorn Kernels
  • 3 TBSPS Canola Oil, although, when I have it, Coconut Oil is my all-time favorite oil for popping corn. It just gives the popcorn THE BEST scent and taste.
  • 2 - 5 TBSPS Butter.  Two, if you are on a weight loss diet. Five, if you need to gain weight. Personally, I think slightly more than 4 TBSPS is just about PERFECT! Although, we often just use 3 TBSPS,
  • Salt, optional.  

Heat a 5 qt pan on med-high. Heat oil, just barely, and add the kernels. COVER the pan immediately. Ideally, the lid can sit ajar as the popcorn pops. I carefully shake the pan, while holding the lid onto it, several times while the popcorn pops.

While the popcorn is popping, melt the butter.

AS SOON AS THE POPPING SLOWS TO A STOP*, turn off the heat and transfer popcorn to a large stainless steel mixing bowl. If are going to share a few pieces of popcorn with your dog (oh, who am I kidding, our dog has her own popcorn bowl) set them aside now. Pour the melted butter over the popcorn in the mixing bowl. Mix. Salt your individual bowl, if, like me, you prefer your popcorn salted.

Serves four, or more.

*It’s better have unpopped kernels, than burnt popcorn!

Ate on 1/25/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment