Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Oh, So, Glamorous.

Not.

I haven't cooked, worked, in a restaurant kitchen since 1995.

I've been out of the game for a loooong time.

Suffice it to say that I did my time on the line, such as it was, in a low volume roadside cafe, before Food Network became what it is today, and before being a chef appeared to be such a glamorous profession to so many.

I started out as a dishwasher. Trust me when I say that I have no illusions. No illusions at all about the glamorous life, and working conditions, to be found in a restaurant kitchen.

Obviously my experiences were nowhere close to those of Anthony Bourdain. But, I could still somewhat relate to his book, Kitchen Confidential, back when I first read it.  Because of that, I've always been a little fond of his irascible self.



Available at $1.99, for one day only, today, and yes there are not many more hours left in today as I type this post, as Amazon's Kindle Daily Deal. Yes, I am an Amazon Associate. Why not? I'm a Prime member, and I love reading Kindle (Software for PC, for me) books, and shopping Amazon, myself.

If you're not offended by Anthony Bourdain, I recommend this book at a higher, or the regular, price. But, if you're already offended by Mr. Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential is not going to endear him to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment