Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Chicken Caprese Pasta Salad


Chicken Caprese Pasta Salad

Caprese is a simple Italian salad composed of layered slices of tomato, basil, and mozzarella cheese, dressed with olive oil, salt and pepper.

It really sounded appealing to me, and, for once, I had all of the ingredients. But, I knew my family wouldn't be enthusiastic about having Caprese Salad, and only Caprese Salad, for dinner, and I knew I didn't care to make more than one course for this particular night's dinner. So, by adding chicken and pasta to the traditional flavors and ingredients that make up a Caprese Salad, I made it into a dinner for them. Or rather, my daughter literally made it into dinner for us. I just wrote it down for her because she prefers to have a recipe to follow.


  • 12 oz Pasta of your choice (I chose Pennette, well, actually my husband chose, but I also considered Capellini, Casarecce, or Orzo)
  • 1 Boneless, Skinless, Chicken Breast
  • 2 - 3 Tomatoes (I needed three, but what's important is that you really do need lovely ones for a Caprese)
  • 2 handfuls of Basil (Fresh only, this time, and I say small because I have small hands. I don't have a more precise measurement for you, sorry)
  • 6 oz Mozzarella (no, I don't buy fresh mozzarella, but, you can, if you choose)
  • 1/2 C Olive Oil (you'll need 1/4 cup at a time)
  • 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
  • Black Pepper, grind to taste

Boil, drain, and cool the pasta (I do this, when necessary, by rinsing it with cold water). Toss the cooled pasta with 1/4 C of the olive oil.

Grill the chicken breast (I do all of my "grilling" on an indoor grill, but I realize many people actually enjoy cooking outside, although I don't pretend to understand it). Let it rest, covered, for 5 minutes, or more. Dice the chicken.

Dice the tomatoes and the mozzarella, and chop the basil.  Toss the tomatoes with the other 1/4 C of olive oil and the salt. Spoonula in all the other ingredients. Let it sit while you set the table.

Serves four.

Ate on:  06/06/2011

2 comments:

  1. Love caprese! Fresh mozzerella, homegrown tomatoes and basil:Sounds so good!!! Did you forget the balsamic or red wine vinegar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I did that on purpose. But, it would be lovely, with the vinegar, too.

    ReplyDelete