Sunday, February 27, 2011

If I Didn't Have Running Water In My Kitchen...

It would change the way I cook. They way we eat. I think it would have to...

I'm thinking about this, because, at present, my kitchen sink (the faucet) is non-functional. 

I've been having  trouble with it for months, but it actually broke on Saturday. A "quick" trip to Lowe's (this "quick" trip involved a couple of  hours of driving time, because I don't live close to shopping), and it appears it's going to take another "quick" trip to Lowe's to once again have a functional kitchen faucet, and thus, running water, in my kitchen.

Why? 

I didn't actually go to Lowe's, my husband did, and the faucet he bought is obviously, to me, a return. The new (to us) Delta faucet is missing the piece that connects the sprayer hose to the other hose(s) under the sink. I think. I'm not clear on the details. But, I have been assured, that, because of the illogical design (and that's my opinion, not that of the person who did the assuring), we can't just bypass the sprayer, for now. We have to actually have the missing piece before we can complete the installation of the faucet and restore running water to my kitchen.

It just so happens we don't have any full-size paper plates.

I have a dishwasher, so I could just run that, and not have to wash dishes in the bathroom, right? No. Wrong. I have a portable dishwasher. I have to actually, physically, hook it up to the faucet. No kitchen faucet? No dishwasher.

I'm frustrated and irritated. The kitchen is a mess, and I'm avoiding it.

I didn't realize it before now, but I take running water for granted in my kitchen. I really, really, do.

I remember that my great grandparents, on my mother's side, never had a bathroom in their farmhouse. I wonder now if they didn't have running water in the kitchen?




2 comments:

  1. When we put in our new countertops, we were without water in the kitchen for a week, and had to wash all our dishes in the bathtub.

    What a pain!!!

    I hope you have your water restored now!

    And Home Depot, for us, is nearly ALWAYS a two-trip trip,if you know what I mean. There are just too many products in there for their clerks to be familiar with everything, and give you good advice, if you need help, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A week? Oh, that would be difficult. Particularly if you didn't know ahead of time it would take that long.

    I am happy to say that I do have water now.

    ReplyDelete