Saturday, February 5, 2011

Blueberry and White Chocolate Chip Cookies



I have adapted, and perhaps adopted, too, the chocolate chip cookie recipe from Gold Medal Flour’s Alpha Bakery Children’s Cookbook.

  • ¾ C. Sugar
  • ¾ C. Brown Sugar
  • 1 C. Butter*, softened.
  • 1 Egg
  • 2 ¼ C. Unbleached (all-purpose) Flour  
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • ½ tsp Salt
  • 1 C. Dried Blueberries (My favorite dried fruit is Costco’s Kirkland Signature brand).
  • 10 - 12 oz White Baking Chips or White Chocolate Chips (My favorite chocolate chips are the Trader Joe’s brand).

In a stand mixer (and no, having one is not necessary), mix together the sugars, butter, and egg. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Carefully add it to the mixer. Once you have a dough, mix in the dried blueberries and the white chocolate chips.

Scoop, with a small sized scoop, or a tablespoon, onto a stainless steel baking sheet. Press down lightly on each cookie with your fingertips. Don’t try to fit more than a dozen cookies on each tray.

Bake at 375 for about 6 minutes per tray. If the bottoms looks completely done, don’t worry about the tops. Let sit on the baking sheet for about 6 minutes before moving them to a baking rack.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

The blueberry flavor comes through better once these cookies are cool, or even the next day. I know, many cookies are best warm, but not these.

*If I make these again, I’ll try making them with unsalted butter. The original recipe calls for margarine or butter, and I always take that as my cue to use salted butter (margarine is usually salted). However, I think the salt in the butter doesn’t go as well with blueberries as it does with the other ingredients I’ve previously added to these cookies.

Don’t get me wrong. These cookies are good with salted butter, I’d just like to try making them with unsalted butter. 


Update, April 4, 2011

We've tried making the cookies with unsalted butter. Believe it or not, they tasted saltier than the cookies made with regular, salted, butter. I can now wholeheartedly say that I recommend salted butter for this cookie recipe.

Also, I originally called for 12 oz of White Chocolate Chips. It appears, I may have actually used a 10 oz bag of White Baking Chips (although they do contain cocoa butter, if that makes you feel better about it, I know that makes me feel better about it). So I've edited the recipe slightly. 

2 comments: